Saint Peter Catholic School understands parents may choose remote learning for their children instead of in-person learning. Families have been asked to choose between an in-person or a remote learning experience for their children for the first semester.
● Provide student and parent with a “live stream” schedule for core classes
● Post core class lesson videos in Google Classroom
● Post assignments in Google Classroom and RenWeb
● Designate virtual “office hours” 1 - 2 times per week for up to 30 minutes per session for virtual learners
● Respond to questions via email and provide extra help during office hours
● Will NOT post or share class video lessons on social media
● Have student sit at a desk or table while “live”
● Monitor and insure your student uses the honor system while taking assessments and completing assignments
● Commit to 1 semester of remote learning. Switching to face to face learning before the semester concludes will be at the principal’s discretion.
● Pick up materials, etc. from school periodically
● Students will not participate in “special” classes (PE, Music, Art, Library, Computer). All other classes are core classes.
● There will be no live interaction or student engagement for remote learners.
● The camera will remain on the teacher during all lessons that are being recorded, although it is at the teacher’s discretion to pause recording should the need arise.
● Student work is to be turned in within 48 hours unless otherwise noted by the teacher.
Remote Learning for All Students
If we are required to transition to a full distance learning model - in collaboration with the Diocese of Raleigh and recommendations by state officials and health experts - our faculty is prepared to re-implement the successes of last year and continue to provide an excellent distance-learning model for instruction.
Using feedback from faculty and parents, our spring 2020 session of remote learning offered a robust education but with thoughtful considerations of the amount of time children spend online, or "screen time." Saint Peter Catholic School students in grades K - 8 received all their “live” instruction between 8 am - 12 pm, Monday through Thursday. Teachers also posted "office hours" where students could talk with them.
Our 1:1 iPad program in Middle School has been incredibly helpful in connecting our students to our faculty. We have now have a 1:1 Chromebook program for students in K_5.
The faculty has set up learning through Google Classroom and Google Meet, to allow for real-time teaching.
Our teachers in Spanish, Art, PE, Computer, Library and Music also shared videos and lessons with our students. We were even been able to live stream Mass since we are not able to gather together to worship.
These times are challenging, but we have much to be grateful for! We will use all of our resources to keep teaching our students whom we love so dearly.
"I have been completely blown away by the thoroughness of instruction the teachers have provided us. I think the response the administration and teachers have had to this crisis just speaks to the level of excellence that our school holds so dear to their hearts."